Share

01 October 2016

What did you say?

A funny conversation (of course with some fiction) with a friend on my pencil drawing

Feedback and constructive criticism, they say are vital for self-improvement. I couldn’t agree more. For someone who shamelessly shares his bad pencil sketches out on FB and Whatsap, I have had more than my fair share of criticisms. Feedback, if must say so.

Feedback
Sometimes, the challenge for me is not so much in working on a feedback but taking it in the first place. How do you work on someones opinion? How can a comment be taken as a feedback?

I recently did a pencil drawing of a fearsome T Rex. Remember the dinosaur eating dinosaur from Jurassic Park? It was not the greatest of drawings but I was particularly glad that I could capture the ferocious look of this monster predator. As usual I shared it with few of my friends and one comment in particular dragged me into this conversation

Hey nice drawing, what animal is this?
That’s T Rex
What’s that? Whatever, But I don’t like it
You don’t like the animal or my drawing
Uh… the drawing is ok. But the only problem is, it’s too scary to look at
Thanks
Thanks?
Yeah, this animal was scary and glad I could get that right.
I prefer cute ones. Try making it look little cuter. Like a calf
This animal used to eat animals twice the size of a cow for snacks. In fact it used to hunt and eat animals that were 70 feet in length. This was the most ferocious alpha predator that has walked the earth. Cute is not going to work.
Blah blah blah …I don’t like it. Besides, it’s not looking real.
It’s a pencil drawing for God’s sake. Not a photograph
Duh…I know that. But what I meant is that the drawing does not resemble the real T Rex or whatever you call it
Sorry, the last of these animals lived 65 million years ago. I couldn’t get any photographs from around that time. Have you seen a real one?
Ha ha. Very funny. It looks 65 million years old though. I meant your drawing
Alright, I get it. You don’t like this drawing. Fine. When I draw a calf or a cat next time I will share it with you.
Thanks but one feedback for you.
Please tell me
You need to learn to take feedback. You can’t be this defensive
Hmm…of course I am good at taking feedback.Why would you say that?
Coz you got offended when I said that your drawing isn’t cute.
How do you even draw a cute T Rex? Maybe I should try a cartoon version the next time.
Ok forget it. Do what you please. I was only trying to help you.
Hmm
Ok can you draw my portrait?
Yes but I thought you don’t like ferocious faces
I never heard from her again. I might probably not hear from her in the next 65 million years. I don't blame her for being angry. I need to work on my ability to take a feed back. Maybe i should start with drawing the cutest scary face and make it look as real as as an un photographed creature that is believed to have lived 65 million years back. Well ,who say's taking feedback is easy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Share your views